About Australia's Islands
Comprising of 900 islands, stretching more than 2,000 kilometres along the Queensland coastline and covering over 35 million hectares, the Great Barrier Reef is the world’s largest coral reef system and has been deemed one of the seven natural wonders of the world.
Extending from the tip of Cape York in the north to Bundaberg in the south, it is the world’s largest collection of coral reefs. Home to an abundance of marine and bird life, the Reef was awarded World Heritage status by UNESCO in 1981 and added to the National Heritage list in 2007.
Why not take advantage of our Free Planning Service
Climate & Information
About Australia's Islands
The Great Barrier Reef is larger than the Great Wall of China and the only living thing on earth visible from space, it has formed a significant part of Australia’s history. The reef is a gathering of brilliant, vivid coral providing the most spectacular underwater experiences imaginable.
Founded in 1770, during the James Cooks’ expedition on the ship HM Bark Endeavour, the reef is now the destination for over two million visitors each year. They come to dive and snorkel amongst the myriad of marine life that includes 1,500 species of fish, 30 species of whale, 6 of the world’s 7 known species of turtle, 125 species of shark and an array of dolphin, including the snubfin dolphin. The sheer diversity of wildlife does not end at the water’s edge, with the reef being home to more than 200 species of bird and the occasional saltwater crocodiles.
The Great Barrier Reef has a tropical climate, with lots of sunshine, warm seas and a refreshing sea breeze. The best time to visit the Great Barrier Reef is from June to November, when the weather is mild and visibility is generally good.
With more than two million people visiting the reef each year generating more than two billion Australian Dollars, tourism is the regions major economic contributor.
Size: 35 million hectares (equivalent to almost 1½ times the size of Britain).
Main Islands : Fitzroy, Daydream, Hamilton, Hayman, Dunk Islands.
Top 10 Islands and places to visit:
- Whitehaven Beach
- Hill Inlet
- Heart Reef
- Green Island
- Fitzroy Island
- Lizard Island
- Heron Island
- Hayman Island
- Daydream Island
- Hamilton Island
- Expert staff who have travelled in Australia
- Friendly advice and professional service
- Make the most of your time and budget
- Local agents on hand at all times
Designed for you
- Holidays designed around your requirements
- Pick and choose the places you want to visit
- Wide range of twin and multi- centre holidays
- One consultant to make all your arrangements
- Tailor made service at package tour price
- Breakfast included in most locations
- Free nights and upgrades at many top resorts
- Book now with a low deposit and pay later
Peace of Mind
- Part of Freedom Destinations, a leading UK travel company
- Independent and established for over 15 years
- Your holiday is fully ABTA and ATOL protected
- High customer satisfaction rate