Fiji is an island country in Melanesia in the South Pacific Ocean, situated north east of New Zealand's North Island. It borders its coastline with Vanuatu to the west, New Caledonia to the southwest, and Tonga to the east.
Formerly a place feared for its cannibals, the Fijian archipelago is a scatter of islands with tropical mountains rising over crystal seas with perfect white beaches. The most popular regions being Nadi, the Coral Coast, Denarau Island, and Mamanuca Islands.
Why not take advantage of our Free Planning Service
Climate & Information
Fiji consists of 322 islands and 522 smaller islets. The two most important islands are Viti Levu and Vanua Levu, which make up roughly three quarters of the total land area and population. The islands are all mountainous, with are covered with thick tropical rainforests and tumbling waterfalls. The highest point is Mount Tomanivi on Viti Levu. Viti Levu hosts the capital city of Suva and is home Fiji's main population. Another important town is Lautoka, it's Fiji's second largest city, and is home to large sugar cane mills and a seaport.
Fiji has a mild, tropical climate, with average temperatures of 25 degrees throughout the year. The wet season is November to April which is also the main cyclone season. Rainfall is varied throughtout, with the warm season experiencing heavier rainfall, especially inland. Winds are generally moderate and warm, though cyclones occur about once a year. The dry season lasts from May to October and is considered the best time to visit Fiji as it has the best weather.
Fiji is one of the most developed and largest of the Pacific Islands economy, consisting with forest, mineral and fish resources; it still remains a developing country with a large agricultural sector. While sugar exports and the growing tourist industry remain the main source of foreign exchange for the island.
Size: 194,000 square kilometres (Britain is 245,000 km2)
Industries: Forestry, minerals, agriculture, fishing, tourism and sugar exports
Main cities: Suva (capital - 77,366), Lautoka (52,500), Nadi (42,284), Labasa (27,949)
Top 10 things to see in Fiji:
- Denarua Island
- Mananuca Island
- Navua River
- Sri Sava Subramaniya Temple
- Sigatoka Sand Dunes
- Vuda Point
- Rainbow Reef
- Garden of the Sleeping Giant
- Expert staff who have travelled in Australia
- Friendly advice and professional service
- Make the most of your time and budget
- Local agents on hand at all times
Designed for you
- Holidays designed around your requirements
- Pick and choose the places you want to visit
- Wide range of twin and multi- centre holidays
- One consultant to make all your arrangements
- Tailor made service at package tour price
- Breakfast included in most locations
- Free nights and upgrades at many top resorts
- Book now with a low deposit and pay later
Peace of Mind
- Part of Freedom Destinations, a leading UK travel company
- Independent and established for over 15 years
- Your holiday is fully ABTA and ATOL protected
- High customer satisfaction rate